Cyber protection as the name implies is the protection of your digital infrastructures. Cyber attackers are intelligent, innovative and increasingly organized. Their methods are advanced, stealthy, and fast. In order to be protected against data loss, threats and ransom ware, it is a necessity for businesses to integrate data protection and cyber security measures into their daily operations. Every day effective cyber protection is increasingly necessary to beat the current cyber threats and safeguard organizations, people and our society at large.
Cyber security threats have appeared in various forms as DDoS Attack, Malware, Man-in-the-Middle Attack, Denial of Service attack, Phishing, Social Engineering, Trojans, Virus, Adware, Botnets, Dridex malware, Emotet malware and SQL Injection. All this forms have taken place across the Cyber in various countries of the world today. Some many victims all around the word still suffer as a result of the grievous effects some of these threats have left them in. Everyday cyber security threats continues to be one of the highest concerns of IT managers, professionals, organizational executives across developed and developing countries. These criminals take advantage of our freedom within the workplace and outside by identifying vulnerabilities and capitalise on it.
Access to data by cybercriminals can go a long way to impact a range of problems, such as sharing sensitive information, stealing of funds, or even result in a change of data in other to derive benefits in several ways. Such security incidents and data breaches have resulted in many organizations reputational loss, direct economic loss, and even regulatory sanctions.
Cyber-security system can be applied from businesses to mobile computing, and can be divided into few common categories: Application security, Cloud security, Data Security, Endpoint Security, Identity Management, Infrastructure and database security, Mobile Security, Network security, Operational security.
According to Acronis, a good cyber security solution should encompass 5 major things, which are referred to as “SAPAS.” Acronis product line-up have been identified to have an integration of these 5 things. These five problem areas have been transformed and broken down into what Acronis call the Five Vectors of Cyber Protection.
- Safety – A reliable copy of the data is always available. No matter the time and day your data is safe and available
- Accessibility – Protected data is available anywhere, anytime.
- Privacy – Access to and visibility of data is restricted to authorized parties. With the right cyber security system in place, organizations don’t need to worry about unauthorized users accessing their network or data. It helps them protect both their end-users and their employees
- Authenticity – Data copies can be proven to be exact replicas of the originals.
- Security – Data is protected against threats and malicious agents.
Acronis’ proven, modern approach strategically addresses the broader spectrum of challenges placed within the acronym SAPAS: Safety, Accessibility, Privacy, Authenticity, and Security.
Challenges of Cyber Security
The cyber security space is challenged by the improving craftiness of cybercriminals. Every day as technology improves, cybercriminals are developing new sophisticated ways of conducting their attacks on unsuspected victims. As a result of this cyber security companies are tasked with the technological challenge of constantly evolving to match possible future vulnerabilities. As a result of the ever-evolving nature of cyber security, it can be incredibly challenging and costly for organizations to stay up to date with regular updates and give in the required attention.
Another challenge that may burden organizations today in the area of cyber security would be the lack of seasoned cyber security experts and professionals. Although some of these problems have been somewhat overcome as a result of technological advancement in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and what have you but still it’s a problem. The number of Cyber security jobs available exceeds the number of professionals not only in Nigeria but globally. In other to reduce or mitigate these organizations need to educate their workforce on the risk of opening links from unrecognized sources, distributing malware etc.
Acronis as a global Cloud and Data Cyber security Solution
Acronis is currently one of the global frontiers at the forefront of powering and developing cyber protection solutions that integrate phenomenal data protection and cyber security capabilities. The Acronis cyber protection platform introduces a worldwide network of cloud data centres that is capable of offering Backup-as-a-Service (BaaS) for customers and service provider partners as well as on-premises backup. This infrastructure design cover servers, virtual machines, traditional applications, cloud-native applications, edge and mobile devices, and a host of other combination.
Here are Key Cyber security tips that can protect you against various forms of cyber attacks
- Update your software and operating system: This has a number of benefits as you can be rest assured you systems are guarded by the latest security patches.
- Use strong passwords: The fact that a short password can easily be remembered doesn’t make it’s an ideal thing to do. You stand to lose more when your short password gets into the wrong hands. Ensure your passwords are strong enough and not easily guessable.
- Use anti-virus software: Keep your software updated for the best level of protection.
- Do not open email attachments or click on links and emails from unknown or unverified senders or sources, you might just be on your way to getting infected with malware as this is a common way malware are spread.
- Avoid using unsecure Wi-Fi networks in public places: Unsecure networks leave you vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.