Discussion or introspection of any topic related to technology cannot be completed without understanding its meaning and definition. Since I have taken up the topic of responsive HTML5 frameworks, I shall try to explain its definition in the easiest way possible first. Breaking this term into two parts shall make its understanding much simpler, namely HTML5 & Frameworks. HTML5 is the improved version of HTML (Hyper Text Mark-up Language) and was released in January 2008. HTML5 is the basic code in which web pages are written or published.
HTML5 is a relatively a new code and is still under its evolutionary phase. An HTML5 framework is a collection of files and folders and set instructions coded in HTML5 to enable a web designer to create the basic structure of a web site. It is an important tool which saves time and effort of the designer as he does not have to build his webpage from scratch. These frameworks provide assistance in creating responsive websites which are a must have today. Being responsive means that a website should be able to give optimal performance on any device, be it a desktop or a mobile phone.
HTML5 shall become the ultimate answer to all web designing needs, once it becomes fully functional. It USP lies in the flexibility and features it offers. Latest browser support, provision of creating visual effects & animations are a few perks that come along with it. Let us look at a few top notch responsive HTML5 frameworks which can make your life easier as a web designer. Mostly these frame works are required for building the front end of the website.
- Foundation: With its latest version 5 just out, it is a very popular responsive HTML5 framework which provides basic HTML components, typography, buttons, templates etc. It is an open source front end framework which allows cross browser compatibility.
- Bootstrap: Bootstrap is a popular framework which is loaded with features and can cater to almost all needs of a web designer who aspires to create a responsive website. Bootstrap provides a 12 grid layout, jQuery plugins for UI’s like modal windows and carousels. It is a well covered and discussed framework online, which means you can get plenty of online assistance for its use.
- Skeleton: It is a lightweight or in other words a boilerplate CSS based framework. Web designers love it for its simplicity. The updated version released in December 2014. This entire framework consists of two files namely normalize.css & skeleton.css. Its grid system is an important component. This framework provides the basic styling for HTML5 objects like buttons, forms & tables.
- HTML5 Boilerplate: It is one of the most popular open source front-end HTML5 frameworks for quick starting your responsive website development. It is an essential tool which enables latest version browser support. It becomes a must have framework when you are designing a responsive website as it includes a mobile friendly HTML5 template, place holder icons etc.
- HTML KickStart: Although one of the newest ones to have arrived in the industry, it has managed to draw a lot of attention in a short while. The advantages of using HTML KickStart are plenty. For starters it is one of the lightest frameworks available today and it’s CSS just occupies 80kb of space. But for this framework, size does not matter, as it packs a punch in there. What’s more, it does not require the use of jQuery, which reduces page loading time drastically.
- Molecule: While discussing about frameworks, how can we forget a very important section of our users, the game enthusiasts. Molecule is a framework for creating cross platform games through HTML5. It is a simple, and yet an effective tool.
- Sculpt: It is one framework which has been designed to cater to small screen devices first when it comes to responsive websites. This framework offers three grid sizes which can be chosen according to the screen size of the device to ensure maximum readability.
- Siimpler: As the name would rightly point out, it is a starter’s framework. Siimpler provides basic needs to build a website, but can offer extra features if you configure it before downloading, by using the +button.
With the arrival of new technology, old technology gets phased out. This has happened before and shall keep on happening. Those web designers who embrace new technology first always end up as winners. Adaptation is the key to survival.
Author Bio.:- Arun is a Technical content writer at Hopinfirst, a leading mobile app development company which provide best ios app development and Android app development Services.