Why Toshiba External Hard Drive Is Not Working/Recognized?
How to recover data from Toshiba External hard drive?
Why files are not visible or not showing on the external drive?
These are some of the instant questions when a user realizes his drive is undetectable, files are invisible, or faced permanent deletion due to various reasons. But before going further it is advised to avoid overwriting activities such as addition or deletion of data from the drive.
In this blog, we will try to provide a manual and direct solution for various scenarios. Go through the blog and evaluate which one will be beneficial for you.
What made Drive unfeasible?
Here are some major culpable reasons why your Toshiba Hard Drive is not working:
- Missing required software or hardware updates
- Corrupted file system from Toshiba external hard drive
- Virus attack
- Missing required software or hardware updates
- Power shutdown
- Interruption while the ongoing transfer process
- Unreadable disk structure
- Outdated driver
- Incorrect Partitions
- Dead USB ports
There several reasons due to which data get deleted from the external hard drive. Don’t stress yourself in situations like this. You can recover data from Toshiba external hard drive using Hard Drive Recovery software on your Windows computer.
There are various cases where users could not access their data. We have discussed mostly faced issues by the user regarding Toshiba hard drive.
Case 1. A disk was not detected
Step 1 Check the USB ports and also check for driver updates
- Press Windows + R.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” into the “Run” dialog box, then click “OK.”
- Expand your drive.
- Right-click your external hard drive and click Update Driver … chooses.
- If an update is available, follow the additional instructions. This will update the hard disk driver.
Now your drive has been detected, so you can update the driver with the Device Manager.
Step 2. Connect your Toshiba external hard drive to your computer, right-click on “This PC” and select “Properties”.
Step 3. Next click on “Device Manager” then expand “Drives”. Find the problematic USB drive, by right-clicking select the “Update driver”.
Step 4. Click on “Search online for driver software automatically”.
Step 4. Wait for the driver software to update, then restart your computer. After this connect the Toshiba external hard drive to the computer and check if it is detected by the system or not.
Case 2. Toshiba drive files are not visible
Possible Cause 1- The file is hidden.
Sometimes the files aren’t really missing from your external hard drive. It is hidden and invisible. Here is the solution to unhide the files.
Solution 1: Run CMD commands
- Type cmd into the search column and hit Enter.
- Right-click cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.
- Type DIR / A x: -s (X is the drive letter for your external hard drive). The meaning of this command is as follows: List non-system files on drive X.
- If this command returns nothing, it denotes that your folder has been marked as a protected system file, so you can move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Unhide files using system control
- Go to Control Panel >> Appearance and Personalization.
- The Folder Options window is displayed.
- On the View tab, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and uncheck the box of “Hide protected operating system files”.
- Then check for the existence of the file/folder.
Solution 3. Show files and folders in Drive
If you work with old Window drivers, your external hard drive will be inaccessible as well. Follow these steps to quickly update your drivers.
Step 1 – Open Device Manager and expand Drives.
Step 2: Update the driver
Right-click on your Toshiba external hard drive and select the updated driver from the available options. If an update is available, it will be displayed; Otherwise, select Uninstall. Follow the wizard instructions to update the drivers on your hard disk.
- Updated drivers help diagnose problems and fix problems caused by corrupt or outdated drivers.
- When no updates are available; You can remove your Toshiba external drive using the uninstall feature. Try removing the drive from the system and reconnecting it after 1 minute. If the disk is unstable or corrupt, you can fix the problem.
You can diagnose the problem a little more in the properties.
Case 3. Permanently deleted files from Toshiba External hard drive
Recover data from Toshiba external hard drive
Method 4: Use a file recovery tool to recover deleted files in Windows 10
When users lack the backup, hard drive recovery software is the budget-friendly and reliable technology to recover deleted files on Windows 7. Applications like SysTools hard drive data recovery tool Professional use advanced utilities and recovery features to recover permanently deleted files from various storage media as well as future file loss.
After installing the tool, run it and then follow 3 simple steps to recover deleted files Windows 10:
Step 1 Download Windows data recovery software and click on Refresh View.
Step 2. Select the drive and click on the Scan (for deleted/corrupted/lost files) or Formatted Scan (for formatted drive).
Step 3. Preview all recovered files in the Utility panel.
Step 4. Save the recovered files in Windows to the desired location.
Now you have recovered data from Toshiba External hard drive in your specified file location without losing data integrity.
External hard drives are more prone to data deletion than internal hard drives because of their movability and portability. Virus attacks, displacement of the head, unsafe removal are some major reasons for it. Users want to know that how to recover data from Toshiba External hard drive when that acknowledges that data become inaccessible. We provided solutions to fix various problematic conditions. Make sure to avoid overwriting to maximize the data recovery.