Is your Windows hard drive space is low? How to increase more space in C drive in Windows 10? My C drive in the Windows system is almost full, how to extend more space in my C drive? Is there a way to increase more space in C drive? These are the frequently asked questions from Windows users. Usually, if your PC/laptop C drive is full, it may slow down your Windows system and even cause much trouble as well.
You might download many files in our Windows system and forgot to check the disk space in your main drive (C) of the Windows system. When C drive color becomes Red, we tried to delete some files which are not important. But, this is not the right way to increase more storage in C drive. Every important file is pre-installed or we can say Windows important files are already pre-installed in C drive. By deleting few files from C drive is not the correct step as you might never know which file is important to run Windows in your PC/laptop.
Whenever you purchase a PC or laptop, you will get additional hard drive storage apart from C drive. System partition drive (C) doesn’t have much space as almost 35-40% of the drive is full of Windows important files. Now, the main question? How to extend C drive in Windows 10? Don’t worry, we have mentioned below steps to increase more space in C drive without deleting Windows operating system files. Have a look!
Extend C Drive In Windows 10
There are various ways to increase storage in C drive that you should try now.
- Delete unnecessary files or non-frequently used programs from C drive.
- Always run the Disk Cleanup Utility tool to delete cache, temporary files, recycle bin and other unused files.
- Try to move or save files in another disk partition like New Volume D and New Volume E.
Step 1: Extend C Drive In Disk Management
- Do a right-click on the Windows icon and select Disk Management.
- A new window will open, do a right-click on C drive and select Extend Volume option
- Welcome wizard will open and select Next.
- Select your disk space which needs to be added in C drive and select Next.
- Once it is done, click on the Finish button and you will get back to the Disk management option and your C drive will be extended successfully.
Note- You can find extended volume available in NTFS partition but, FAT32 and exFAT partition are not supported.
Step 2: Extend Storage Using Diskpart Command
Image Source- Disk Genius
- Do a right-click on the Start button and select the PowerShell (admin)
- Write diskpart in the PowerShell window and press Enter.
- Now, type the below commands and hit enter after each command.
Select volume # (Remove # with the volume number of C drive)
Extend size=xxxx (Remove XXXX with disk size in MB, if you want to add to C drive)
Note– Partition should be NTFS file system.
Tips To Extend C Drive In Windows 10
In addition to the above steps, you can try some tips to increase more storage in your C drive without downloading any software.
- Move the page file and print spooler file to another drive.
- Merge other partition into C drive to extend more space.
- Download and Install PC Cleaner to remove unwanted, cache and temporary files from your Windows system.
- Empty your Windows recycle bin every week.
Above are all the steps to extend C drive in Windows 10 system. If you know how to reinstall Windows 10 operating system in your PC/laptop, you can format your PC/laptop and manage your C drive partition while reinstalling Windows operating system. Create a new partition and backup all your important files and folders before formatting your Windows operating system.
Although, there are many solutions for Windows 10 disk partition, however, we have already listed above all the possible steps to extend C drive in Windows 10 system. If you have any questions or suggestions for how to extend or increase more space in Windows 10 C drive, feel free to mention them in the comments section below.