Every website owner wants to earn links and relevant traffic.
Because the more links and traffic you have, the more readers will view your content and also the more profit you will generate.
Trending topics is the sweet spot when it comes to earning links and traffic. Trending topics add a lot of user engagement, and of course you know the higher the engagement the more traffic you get.
When you are able to find the trending topics people are talking about and searching for at the moment, you can use it to your advantage to earn links and traffic.
In this article, I have listed 5 tips for using trending topics to earn links and relevant traffic. They are outlined below:
# Stay ahead of The Trends
One of the first steps you need to take to use trending topics to earn links and relevant traffic is to actually stay ahead of the trends.
You have to stay ahead of the trends if you want to create content that is bound to go viral.
You can’t afford to miss a trending topic once it happens, because if you are not fast in creating your own content – article, video or review – in relation to the trending topic fast, other people will have shared their own contents online which will make yours less important and it will be too late to ride the wave.
You need to use tools in other to stay current on news stories, events, pop culture etc. Some of the best tools you can use are:
- Facebook: Facebook is a great tool for recognizing topics that are trending online because people use it to stay in touch with friends, share thoughts, topics and ideas. You can connect to groups, communities and hashtags so you can know what people are talking about
- Google Trends: this tool is basically used to know what topics are trending and what are people searching for and the keywords used on Google. You can use this tool to research on topics that are trending in your niche.
- Twitter: this is another powerful tool that shows you in detail what topics are trending daily. It covers every topic on earth.
# Develop Your Content
After you have been able to find a trending topic you want to write about, you are now ready to start writing on the topic.
Rather than using what is online to develop your content, you might want to think outside the box and start writing with what you already know based on your brand.
Below are some questions you need to ask yourself before crafting your content:
- What are my audience currently interested in right now: what pressing issues needs to be addressed? You can as well just ask them. Based on the answers, you can then craft your content around that.
- Are there any “gaps”: from the contents available on the web, are there any gaps. Can you fill in that gap?
- What has worked in the past? What styles or format has worked in the past, can you also replicate that by adding your touch?
# Craft Shareable and Relevant Content
Crafting content based on trending topic has a very high reward and relatively low risk, it also involves very low investment.
In other to craft shareable and relevant content that will attract links and traffic, you can do the following:
- Add Images, Videos and Info graphics: adding images, videos and info graphics to your content will definitely increase user engagement which makes it more likely that readers will share your content. You can also share your images, videos and info graphics on social networks which opens more opportunity for traffic.
- Aim for a Wide Audience: by aiming for a wider audience, this provides an opportunity for your content to be shared across the web. You want your content to be picked up and shared on a variety of different platforms. The goal is for the content to generate traffic and attract links.
- Optimize for Sharing: this means making share buttons accessible on your website and also include an engaging title and description.
# Spread Content across Platforms
Once you are done with all of the above, you are now ready to share your content based on the trending topic across different platforms. You should be strategic about platforms to use to circulate your content.
Using one social network alone won’t be effective in circulating your content, you might want to follow these ides:
- Circulate your content in Facebook groups related to your niche
- Run an Instgram and Facebook campaign
- Use email outreach to attract links
- Ask friends and co-workers to share your content
- Turn your content into a video and upload it on YouTube
Before deciding on which platforms to use, you need to think of the platforms your audience engage on mostly.
Optimize for Search
What good is crafting a content from trending topics if no one finds it? That’s where optimizing for search comes in.
If your objective is to drive traffic and links, then you will need to optimize your content for search engines. It depends if you have knowledge on SEO, if you don’t then you might want to work with an expert in this niche.
Your website can always get optimized later, the main focus is on the content. You want to create content that you can market across platforms quickly and obtain links in a shorter time period.
Using trending topics can be a very great way to go viral on the web and also boost traffic and links to your site. To do this you have to be able to stay on top of trending topics, keep your eyes alert for opportunities and then craft great content that’s made to engage.
It doesn’t really have to be time-consuming for you to stay ahead of what’s trending. With tools and strategies, you can never go short of content ideas. I hope you find this article helpful and relevant.
Ayushi Choudhary is an SEO executive working with Ranking By SEO. She has been writing articles on many topics related to SEO, link building, social media marketing, and many more.