In August, Samsung unveiled a new phone that came with an iris scanner that was tagged the best Android phone there is. But weeks later, reports of the phone catching fire started surfacing on the internet which prompted the South Koran electronics giant to recall about 2.5 million phones early last month with a promise to replace them once battery issues were fixed.
The Note 7 fans waited and then they started replacing those phones again to the joy of many. This was however short lived as reports in the US started surfacing of replacements Note 7 phones catching fire again. In fact according to The Verge, one of the phones caught fire on a Southwest flight on Thursday and the airline has since warned owners of the phone not to use it in-flight again. Another one owned by Michael Klering of Nicholasville, Kentucky caught fire and he said that he woke up at 4AM to find his bedroom filled with smoke and his phone on fire. Later in the day, he went to the hospital with acute bronchitis caused by smoke inhalation.
In spite of the news of a third replacement phone catching fire, Samsung hasn’t issued an official statement but today, inside sources are telling American news outlets that Samsung has now temporarily stopped the production of the Note 7. This was primarily due to the decision of telecommunication companies in the US and Australia saying they won’t offer the phone on contracts on reports of battery problems associated with Samsung’s latest phone.
Samsung said they would be “temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note 7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters” and would report back in a month in a statement to the South Korean stock exchange.
The phone has been having battery problems and seen Samsung shares take a hit lately.