What a week! Maybe you, like us, are clinging to your wallet with all your strength, trying to save up 100,000 pennies (or a few less) for one of the new iPhones announced this week or you are probably trying to figure out when to download the most anticipated software IOS 12 on your device—think no far!
After months of public betas, the final version of iOS 12 is now available and ready for download. It comes with new features like Screen Time, a revamped Photos app, new Animoji and Siri Shortcuts, grouped notifications, an AR app called Measures, as well as major performance improvements that increase the speed and responsiveness of your devices. And later this fall, you’ll be able to FaceTime with up to 32 people at once. (Which sounds pretty overwhelming, but OK.)
First, make sure your device is capable of running iOS 12. Like iOS 11, iOS 12 is only compatible with 64-bit devices — which means 32-bit devices like the iPhone 5 won’t be able to run the update. Here are the supported iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices:
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X.
- iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 4 iPad 9.7 inch, iPad Pro 9.7 inch, iPad Pro 12.9 inch, iPad Pro 10.5 inch.
- iPod Touch (sixth generation)
Before you update to the iOS 12, you should make sure to backup your device’s data. That way, if you lose anything while downloading the new OS, it will be easy to restore things back to the way they were. You can choose to backup data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch via iCloud — or via iTunes on a PC or Mac.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL IOS 12 ON YOUR IPHONE, IPAD, OR IPOD TOUCH
The easiest way to get iOS 12 is to install it right on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch you want to update.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- A notification about iOS 12 should appear and you can tap Download and Install.
- It can take a while, during which time you won’t be able to use your device, so tap Install now or Remind Me Later if you want to postpone for a more convenient time.