Chemistry is an important and easiest subject for class 12. Students can score high marks in class 12 chemistry by understanding the concepts properly. Students have to prepare for chemistry for the board exams and entrance exams. The syllabus for both the board exams and the competitive exams is the same. Thus, if students prepare well for the board exams they can also score high marks in the competitive exams. In this article, we will provide detailed information about the CBSE 12th Class Chemistry Syllabus and the tips to prepare well for class 12th chemistry. Students must know the syllabus for class 12th chemistry before they start preparing for the exams. They will get an idea of the chapters included in the first and second term of class 12 board exams. CBSE has divided the exams into two stages term I and term II and the syllabus prescribed for both the terms are also different. Therefore, students must the syllabus for both terms to score high marks in the class 12th chemistry.
Term 1 syllabus for class 12 chemistry
In term 1, students have to answer multiple-choice questions based on assertion reasoning type and case-based MCQs. The chapters included for term 1 include the following
Solid-state and solutions carry 10 marks questions in the exam.
P-block elements carry 10 marks questions
Other topics included in the term 1 syllabus for class 12 chemistry are Haloalkanes and Haloarenes, alcohols, phenols, and ethers, and Biomolecules.
The total marks for the first term exam are 35.
Term 2 syllabus for class 12 chemistry
In term 2, students will get a different set of chapters. In term 2, students will get descriptive questions based on a different format. They have to answer open-ended short answers, long answer types, and situation-based questions. The chapters included in the term 2 syllabus for class 12 include the following:
Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, and surface chemistry that carries 13 marks questions in the exam.
D-block elements and Coordination compounds carry 9 marks questions in the exam.
Aldehydes, Ketones, and Carboxylic Acids, and Amines carry questions of 13 marks in the exams.
Any new chapters or topics are not added or deleted from the current syllabus of class 12th chemistry. The theoretical part will be for 70 marks and the practical will be for 30 marks.
Tips to finish class 12th chemistry syllabus quickly
Students of class 12 can follow the tips given here to prepare for class 12 chemistry. The tips given here can help students to finish the entire syllabus quickly.
- The first thing is to get an idea about the syllabus and the exam pattern for the class 12 chemistry board exam. Students must know the weightage of marks for each chapter and topic. This will help students to make a proper study plan for chemistry accordingly. They will come to know which are the important chapters and should focus more to score high marks in the exams. Knowing the syllabus will not only help students to prepare for the board exams but also for the entrance exams.
- Students must cover all topics of class 12 chemistry from the NCERT books. Most questions in the board exams are asked from the NCERT books. The books contain the entire syllabus prescribed by the CBSE for class 12 chemistry. Students can find important information related to all important topics for class 12 chemistry in the NCERT books. Therefore, students must read and understand all the main concepts of class 12 chemistry from the NCERT books.
- After completing the syllabus for class 12 chemistry, students can practice sample papers for chemistry class 12 available on the internet. Students can find sample papers on different websites. They should download the sample papers from a relevant website to practice for the board exams. This will help students to understand the exam pattern and marking scheme for the paper.
- Students must solve previous year’s question papers for class 12 chemistry. Students can get an idea about the type of questions asked in the final exams and they can also get an idea about the important topics. Some questions are repeatedly asked in the exams. Therefore, this will help students to know the important topics for exam preparation. They can focus more on the important topics to score high marks. Students can also identify their weak topics and can work on them to prepare for the final exams.
- Students must try to finish the entire syllabus before the exams to secure high marks. They should also spare some time for a quick revision of all important topics. Revision is important as students can memorize the important topics for the final exams.
- Students should learn to manage time for scoring high marks in class 12 chemistry. They should divide the time properly so that they can focus on all subjects equally. Students should set weekly targets to achieve. This will help them to finish the syllabus in a scheduled time and they can gain confidence once they finish the entire syllabus before the exam.
- Students must make sure that they know their weaknesses and should work on them to strengthen the concepts. If they need to discuss any topic with their teachers they must do it before the exams. Strengthening weak topics is the most important strategy for scoring high marks in the exams.
- Students must evaluate their preparation and try to work on their mistakes. They should spare some time to work on their mistakes so that they do not make any mistakes in the final exams. They should revise all important concepts from the study notes and books to prepare for the final exams.
- Students must practice numerical problems given in the NCERT book. They should try to solve all numerical problems related to different topics. Students should revise all formulas and concepts for solving numerical problems in chemistry.
Thus, students can use the above tips to finish the class 12 chemistry syllabus on time. Finishing the syllabus on time will reduce the stress and this can help students to stay calm for all exams during the end of the session.